Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1½ cups water
- dash of salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest; finely grated
- ⅓ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Combine sugar, flour, cornstarch and dash of salt in a medium saucepan.
- Gradually stir 1½ cups water.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over medium high heat til thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat egg yolks slightly.
- Gradually stir in 1 cup of the hot filling into the yolks.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and bring to a gentle boil.
- Cook and stir for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and lemon zest.
- Gradually stir in lemon juice.
- Mix well, but gently.
- Pour hot filling into prebaked pie crust.
- Combine egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar and beat at medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar and beat on high speed until stiff, glossy peaks form and sugar is completely disolved.
- Spread meringue over pie filling, being careful to seal to the edge of the crust.
- Bake in a 350f oven for 15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Chill til serving time.